Senior Accountant - Disability Income
Company: Northwestern Mutual
Posted on: September 18, 2023
At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Summary: Hybrid opportunity in Franklin, WI responsible for the
analysis and resolution of complex financial case consultations on
DI claims and DI underwriting . Primary Duties &
- Responsible for the analysis and resolution of complex
financial case consultations on DI claims (75% of workload) and DI
underwriting (5% of workload).
- Review and analyze personal and business tax return as well as
- Provide verbal and detailed written responses to DI claims
analysts and underwriters. Occasionally communicate directly with
NM financial representatives, claimants, outside CPAs, attorneys,
and employers on routine issues
- Partner with DI claims and underwriting leadership on complex
and sensitive cases.
- Provide analysis and calculations of earned income, benefits
payable/adjustments, tax reconciliations of monthly reporting, and
covered overhead expenses.
- Develop and enhance the financial expertise of DI claims
analysts, underwriters and other DI personnel through formal and
informal training, presentations and mentoring during individual
- Provides expertise and assistance in researching, developing,
writing, reviewing, and implementing new and revised financial
claims administration and underwriting standards that are
consistent with the company's strategy, claim philosophy,
morbidity, and persistency goals as well as contract
- Assist in the development and maintenance of claims and
underwriting manuals as well as applications, forms, brochures and
other job aids and spreadsheets used by claims analysts and
- Assist with the compilation and editing of taxable benefit
data, and the generation and distribution of required tax reporting
to comply with Federal income tax reporting regulations.
- Participate in small to modest sized intra and
interdepartmental projects and committees that affect financial
claims administration and underwriting.
- Establish and maintain high quality communication and goodwill
with all levels of Home Office personnel as well as members of the
field, claimants, policyowners and outside CPAs and attorneys with
regard to claims administration and underwriting.
- Maintain the highest levels of current tax and accounting
knowledge through continuing education and the review of
professional publications. Qualifications:
- A bachelor's or master's degree in accounting.
- CPA designation highly preferred.
- Experience in preparation or review of personal and small
business tax returns highly preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in accounting or tax related work.
- Experience with a variety of businesses and industries is a
- Knowledge of disability income products is a plus.
- Superior analytical and decision-making skills that balance
flexibility, critical thinking and judgement with the complex
contractual constraints that may exist in the DI contract.
- High degree of personal initiative and the ability to work
independently and deliver timely results in a fast-paced production
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to train, develop and mentor claims analysts and
underwriters. Compensation Range: Pay Range - Start: $66,850.00 Pay
Range - End: $124,150.00 N ort hwester n Mutual pays on a
geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary
range for this position will be determined by a number of factors
including the skills, education, training, credentials and
experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the
cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At
Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be
hired at or near the top of the range for their role and
compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances
of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the
posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain
locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the
standard pay structure based on the location. Please click - for
additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our
client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now! We
are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or
expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or
status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic
protected by law. If you work or would be working in California,
Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate
location, please click for information pertaining to compensation
FIND YOUR FUTUREWe're excited about the potential people bring to
Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying
first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and
- Flexible work schedules
- Concierge service
- Comprehensive benefits
- Employee resource groupsPandoLogic. Keywords: Financial
Advisor, Location: Franklin, WI - 53132
Keywords: Northwestern Mutual, Milwaukee , Senior Accountant - Disability Income, Accounting, Auditing , Franklin, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!