Engineering Specialist - Motor Control
Location: Menomonee Falls
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Eaton's Industrial Controls Division is currently seeking an
Engineering Specialist- Motor Control to join our team. This
position is based at our Menomonee Falls, WI location.
The Engineering Specialist-Motor Control role is responsible for
the design and implementation of motor control for the division's
next generation of industry leading products. Primary products are
related to variable frequency drives but may also include reduced
voltage starting; these products leverage embedded
micro-controllers and digital signal processors. The candidate will
work with other team members driving new product and process
development while leveraging state of the art tools.
Responsibilities will center on motor control algorithm development
(both V/Hz and sensorless vector control for a wide variety of
motors spanning from induction machines to PM and Synchronioous
reluctance) and modeling for variable frequency drives, but will
also require the ability to develop DSP/embedded firmware. The
candidate must possess a mind-set focused on innovation combined
with motor control experience and the ability to drive all motor
control related aspects of a project to a successful
This position will reside in the divisional headquarters building,
which houses engineering for multiple product lines as well as
marketing, sales, finance, and R&D. The facility was built in
2012 and boasts an open office layout surrounded by large windows,
as well as 50,000+ square feet of onsite state-of-the-art
laboratory space, an onsite fitness center, basketball court,
Ping-Pong, employee lounge, and grill & patio. With eight Eaton
facilities and more than 1600 employees located in Southeastern
Wisconsin, Eaton's local footprint enables our employees with state
of the art laboratories and access to manufacturing, all while
providing ample opportunities for development and career growth
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every
employee around the world. We create an environment where
creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every
day. It's where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your
full potential-and where you can help us reach ours.
In This Function You Will
- Establish and document new product requirements related to
Motor Control by collaborating with marketing, other technical
personnel and customers.
- Define motor control algorithms including scalar control
(volts-per-hertz) and sensor-less vector control algorithms for a
variety of motor types.
- Guide Model Based Design and Auto Code Generation activities
for the division globally both for projects and for major OEM
- Drive motor control related activities for major projects
(specifying, designing and implementing as well as directing other
engineers within function)
- Drive global team adoption, training and deployment for Model
based design and auto code generation tools related to motor
- Develop motor control models using Matlab/Simulink software
based on motor control algorithms
- Leverage Hardware in the Loop and Software in the Loop tools
(dSPACE, Opal RT) to test, optimize and verify models
- Develop embedded C/C++ firmware for motor control leveraging
single chip micro-controllers or digital signal processors.
- Specify motor control test applications both at a unit test and
system test level to verify proper functionality.
- Direct and work with lab personnel to develop tests and perform
testing to validate proper product functionality.
- Debug and fix product defects related to motor control and
establish project and product cost estimates and time
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds
that make each of us unique, we - as individuals and as a company -
Required (Basic) Qualifications
- Masters Degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 5 years engineering experience developing motor
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only
candidates within a 50-mile radius of Menomonee Falls, WI will be
considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are
exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Ph. D in Control Systems or Motor Control from an accredited
- Experience developing functional product requirements as well
as detailed design requirements.
- Knowledge/training related to the motor control systems.
- Experience developing motor control algorithms (volts-per-hertz
and sensor-less vector) for a variety of motor types
- Strong experience utilizing Matlab/Simulink.
- Experience utilizing Hardware in the Loop/Software in the Loop
systems (dSpace, Opal RT or equivalent)
- Experience leading the development and modeling of control
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art engineering practices, processes
and related tools
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Ability to oordinate and communicate with other disciplines to
ensure project success. Other disciplines include Marketing,
Industrialization, Test Engineering, Designers, and
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all
job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon
job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national
origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected
veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
North America - US/Puerto Rico
United States-Wisconsin-Menomonee Falls
Menomonee Falls WI Loc
EPG CPD ICD Industrial Controls Division
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility)
allowed for this position?
Does this position offer relocation?
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Requisition ID :093974
Keywords: Eaton, Milwaukee , Engineering Specialist - Motor Control, Engineering , Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!