Advanced Technology Engineer
Company: Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE)
Posted on: February 6, 2024
Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) invites applications for
a full-time Advanced Technology Engineer to join our Fluid Power
department. Under the direction of the Director, Fluid Power
Institute, the primary responsibilities of this role include
researching and supporting new and advanced technologies for
projects undertaken by the Applied Technology Center, the Fluid
Power Institute and related research centers.
Essential Job Functions
- Integrate cutting edge technologies into Fluid Power Institute
projects as well as research and development projects.
- Leverage the draw of MSOE's new investment in AI, deep learning
and data science to attract new projects and clients wishing to
invest in emerging technologies.
- Provide technical expertise to the electrical, control, data
acquisition and data analysis aspects of the project.
- Provide updated methods of real time data analysis, including
machine learning techniques, to increase the prestige and draw of
FPI and MSOE as an educational institution and industrial
- Seek, appraise, and pursue opportunities for external funding
for applied research projects and grants in the areas of electrical
engineering, controls, instrumentation, green energy, and energy
- Provide advanced engineering experience and techniques through
software analysis and modeling tools relating to hydraulic and
- Coordination and organization of the project management across
multiple departments for research and development test events,
including the identification and mitigation of projects
- Design and build control systems which allow automation of test
stands for continuous operation in accordance with ISA, NEMA, IEC,
- Maintain communication with clients which have commissioned
these projects in order to keep the client informed on the progress
of the test.
- Follow-up on project leads/prospects and build relationships
with clients for future applied research projects.
- Create and maintain data acquisition systems to monitor and
record test progress in accordance to meet ISO/NFPA/SAE
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate proposals and quotes in response to customer
- Oversee instrumentation calibration and instrumentation setup
specific to each project.
- Select the instrumentation best suited for the
- Maintain instrument inventory and calibration documentation to
- Maintain testing systems and equipment, and upgrade as needed
to meet industry advancements in power and controls
- Oversee electrical wiring for lab power and powering test
stands while ensuring safe handling and routing of power cables.
480V / 230V / 120V single and 3 Phase.
- Ensure each project has working failsafe controls to protect
not only equipment from damage but more importantly to prevent any
injuries to persons in the laboratory.
- Assist in student employee training.
- Provide technical assistance and support to the academic
departments and student projects when necessary.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and
may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as
management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Requires a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or
engineering technology (master's degree preferred) or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
- Experience with control systems, data acquisition,
instrumentation and data analysis pertaining to engineering
- Ability to create software programs in a variety languages and
- Knowledge of hydraulic circuits and components a plus.
- Knowledge of PLC's, VFD's, MMC's and related controls
- Knowledge of electrical circuit design modeling and simulation
- Familiarity with hydraulic and electrical model validation
using advanced techniques.
- Knowledge of industrial laboratory safety procedures and OSHA
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write
routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively
before others. Ability to effectively communicate in both written
and oral form.
- Ability to use numbers to solve problems involving concrete
variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to use advanced applied math techniques to verify data
and validate models.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out
detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to
deal with problems involving several concrete variables in
standardized situations. Must be organized, detail oriented, and
ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and ability to
prioritize projects to complete work in a timely manner.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills to work well with
MSOE faculty, staff, administration, and students as well as
individuals from business and industry.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is largely
sedentary, the ability to move is required. The employee is
occasionally required to traverse within their work area as well as
other areas on campus.
- Must be able to routinely lift a minimum weight of 75 pounds
- Overnight travel will be occasionally required to customer
This job operates in a professional office environment, in an
industrial laboratory, industrial manufacturing environment, and
also in all-weather outdoor environment. This role uses standard
office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and
filing cabinets; many types of engineering test and measure
equipment; and industrial power equipment such as hydraulic,
pneumatic, and electrical.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to
describe the principle functions of the occupation described and
shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work
requirements that may be inherent in the occupation. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of MSOE to provide equal employment opportunity to
all individuals regardless of their race, ethnicity, color, creed,
religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability,
military and veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity,
genetic characteristics, marital status or any other characteristic
protected by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to
all jobs at the University and to all the terms, benefits, and
conditions of employment/enrollment.
Job Code: 222
Keywords: Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE), Milwaukee , Advanced Technology Engineer, Engineering , Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!