Senior Director, Business Operations, Strategy & Planning (Digital Product/Tech Delivery)
Company: CFA Institute
Posted on: November 17, 2023
At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference. In
this Biz Ops role, drive the strategic department vision, operating
model, budget and planning activities, and outcomes for the Digital
Product organization. Serve as a trusted, strategic advisor to a
department head and leaders within this area. Be at the helm of
huge transformation - forming one of the most powerful digital
engines in the financial services industry! Serve as a trusted,
strategic advisor to an executive, functional or department head
and leaders within the department or function. Primary Duties &
Responsibilities Planning & Direction
- Lead the development of and advise departmental / function
strategy development and execution, ensuring alignment with key
business priorities and outcomes.
- Lead department/functional central initiatives that drive
business value. Collaborate, plan and organize with and through
people to bridge strategies across teams.
- Support a sophisticated area of the business, determines
inter-dependencies across the organization, and facilitates work of
notable risk and complexity within own area and across the
business. Business Operations
- Responsible for strategy and planning to align business
operations with the company's overarching strategy, mission and
- Identify gaps between ideal and current state of operating
model and recommend solutions to close the gaps.
- Facilitate execution of departmental / functional operating
model to improve the health of the department / function and
- Exhibit expert level and intuition for business in order to
solve unique, sophisticated problems across the function with a
broad impact on the business; requires conceptual and innovative
thinking to develop solutions. Project Management
- Partner with department / function leadership team to identify
and track priority work, including identifying business outcomes
and performance indicators, portfolio management of key department
/ function priorities, developing strategy for project execution,
and creating transparency on priority work in the department /
function and throughout the enterprise.
- Lead projects with notable risk and complexity; develop
strategy for project execution. Department / Function Planning
- Lead function/department planning and financial/budgeting
- Oversee budget forecasting, administration and reporting.
- Manage multiple and sophisticated funding mechanisms and
provides advisement to leadership on securing resources to achieve
- Align department and function planning and budget to functional
and company priorities, working cross-functionally with peers in
the function and organization.
- Develop action plans based on budget decisions. Meeting
- Plan and prepare agendas for functional/departmental staff or
leadership meetings and planning sessions.
- Participate in regular department and function leadership
meetings to evaluate barriers to success and develop courses of
action to overcome issues at the functional/departmental
- Impact the direction and prioritization for programs, projects
or services and ensures alignment of functional/departmental
priorities to organizational strategy.
- Facilitate cross-functional initiatives and the flow of
information between collaborators and other teams.
- Coordinate requests for information from partners and prepares
reports and presentations in response.
- Anticipate business issues; recommend product, process or
service improvements. Trusted Advisor
- Represent and provide support to an executive, functional or
department head to facilitate effective decision-making which has a
significant impact on the organization; this includes planning,
roadmap development, operational planning, leading key departmental
/ functional priorities, and meeting planning and preparation. Has
a high impact on the implementation of critical initiatives that
carry out overarching departmental / functional and organizational
- Establish and maintain organizational savviness, an executive
presence and high level of intuition for business for area
supporting and also for entire function to unearth issues,
opportunities, problems, etc. Qualifications
- Minimum of 10 years' business leadership experience.
- Shown leadership skills working with teams with varied
- Superior social skills to lead groups of people.
- Experience in portfolio and/or project management, strategic
and operational planning, and leading multiple sophisticated
projects with organization-wide impact.
- Demonstrated organizational agility to work across
organizational boundaries, influence, and collaborate with all
levels on solutions that benefit the organization.
- Ability to work horizontally w/ shared priorities elevate
functional priorities over department objectives.
- Thinks within lateral accountabilities and
- Proven skills in dealing with ambiguity and paradox, and
- Exceptional business insight and focus on achieving business
impact through progressive practices and sound business
- Ability to translate goals and strategies into executable
- Strong integrity and proven ability to treat confidential
- Demonstrated learning agility and outside-in perspective to
identify future trends and practices.
- Strong organizational skills; able to handle competing demands,
and work under tight deadlines and short time frames.
- Strong problem solving and strategic/critical thinking skills.
Track record applying data analytics to support
recommendations/decision making. Comfortable with modeling in
Excel; experience with SQL, AirTable and data visualization tools
(ex. PowerBI) is advantageous
- Ability to identify underlying issues and influence others
without formal authority.
- Facilitation and team building skills; ability to play an
active, operational and communicative role. Interpersonal savvy and
comfort interacting with and presenting to all levels of the
organization, including senior leaders.
- High degree of self-motivation with leadership and initiative
in sharing information, contributing towards group goals, and
accepting responsibility for results.
- Pro-active and an ability to anticipate needs for a range of
broad / complex business problems and staying ahead of them;
comfortable working in an ambiguous environment. Compensation
Range: Pay Range - Start: $136,220.00 Pay Range - End: $252,980.00
Northwestern Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure
and placement in the salary range for this position will be
determined by a number of factors including the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope,
complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other
conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical
for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for
their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts
and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range
listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in
certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on
the standard pay structure based on the location. Grow your career
with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at
the center of all we do. Get started now! We are an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a
protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by
Keywords: CFA Institute, Milwaukee , Senior Director, Business Operations, Strategy & Planning (Digital Product/Tech Delivery), Executive , Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!