Company: General Pet Supply
Posted on: November 11, 2019
General Pet SupplyDescription:
Transportation Manager Position OverviewThe Transportation Manager
is responsible for overseeing all facets of the delivery process
including managing daily delivery routes, driver training and
scheduling, managing the fleet of vehicles and ensuring compliance
with all DOT regulations. This is a working management position and
requires the individual to ride with drivers to observe their
performance, evaluate delivery routes and procedures.Transportation
Manager Essential Job Functions
- Develop, implement and administer policies, procedures and
controls for the delivery of out-bound products in an accurate,
timely and cost-effective manner.
- Hire, train, develop, evaluate and discipline delivery
personnel. This includes planning, scheduling personnel, monitoring
employee workloads, documenting employee performance and conducting
performance reviews to fit operational needs. Also includes
enforcing and abiding by Company policies and procedures. Will
inform the HR Department of problems as they arise.
- Ensure operations are compliant with federal, state and local
laws and regulations, including the Department of Transportation.
This includes maintaining necessary paperwork, including logs,
pre-trip inspections, vehicle maintenance records and Driver
- Prepare and post Weekly Route Delivery Schedule; including
driver and vehicle assignments.
- Review the preliminary loading report and route trucks for next
- Adjust the next days delivery schedule for General Pet Supply
Drivers and vehicles based on load size and Driver
- Take incoming calls from drivers, customers, LTL carriers,
Sales and Customer Care departments.
- Coordinate special deliveries with other supervisors or
departments and schedule the delivery.
- Work with truck Lease Company regarding vehicle maintenance
issues, and coordination of substitute or rental vehicles as
- Structure delivery routes to maximize efficiencies and minimize
- Ensure time sheets for hourly personnel are accurate and
complete prior to payroll processing.
- Work with outside vendors and freight carriers on maintenance,
purchases and to maintain low shipping rates.
- Ensure all paperwork for incoming and outgoing shipments is
completed properly and given to the appropriate department(s).
- Communicate with the Warehouse Manager, Shift Supervisors
and/or Vice President of Operations daily to maintain effective
operation of Distribution Center activities.
- Promote a safe and efficient working environment for all
- Must be able to travel periodically to meet operational
needs.About UsGeneral Pet Supply is a division of Central Garden &
Pet Company, a leading distribution company in the lawn and garden,
and pet supply industries. We are a dynamic, growth-oriented
distributor of pet food and supplies with operations based
throughout the Midwest..
Transportation Manager Qualifications Required
- Associates Degree in business, warehouse management, logistics
or operations, or five years of management experience in a
distribution environment with a daily route delivery
- At least 3 years previous supervisory experience, including
training, development and evaluation of delivery drivers.
- Must have strong understanding of DOT guidelines and experience
working with leased or owned vehicles. Extensive experience working
with Common Carriers and UPS is a plus.
- Must have excellent computer skills, including previous
experience working with Warehouse and Transportation Management
- Excellent analytical and planning skills. Able to plan and be
proactive to prevent time spent reacting to problems.
- Must be familiar with, understand, abide by and enforce all
Company policies and procedures.
- Must be able to operate basic office equipment including
telephones, copy machine, fax machine and computer (Microsoft Word,
- Possess excellent interpersonal and supervision skills to aid
in the development, direction, delegation and discipline of staff.
Must be understanding of people and their problems, diplomatic and
have a sense of fairness and consistency.
- Able to communicate effectively in both oral and written
format. Must be able to read, write and speak English.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Able to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Must be able to work flexible hours to meet changing customer
or operational demands and able to work overtime on short notice.
Position requires working until the job is complete.
- Must be an excellent problem-solver, organized and attentive to
- Able to perform the physical requirements of all warehouse
- Must be willing and able to travel on routes with drivers,
including overnight routes.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe
mannerTransportation Manager Qualifications Preferred
- Experience in a fast-paced distribution environment.
- Previous forklift certification.
- Valid class A commercial drivers license and previous delivery
- Previous routing experience.
- Able to safely operate and become certified in the operation of
all warehouse equipment including forklifts, pallet jacks and
shrink wrap machines.This is not intended to be an exhausted set of
duties, responsibilities and qualifications, but acknowledgment of
the main duties, responsibilities and job qualifications of the
position. Individuals will be required to perform other functions
as required by management.We are an equal opportunity employer and
all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation,
gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.PM19
Keywords: General Pet Supply, Milwaukee , Transportation Manager, Executive , Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!