Posted on: May 24, 2020
Why WellpathHere at Wellpath, everything that we do is about
taking care of people - our patients, our staff and our partners.
We are committed to making a difference by providing hope and
healing to vulnerable patients in challenging clinical
environments. Our talented, compassionate team thrives in an
autonomous environment, is empowered and supported by education,
training and the resources to practice healthcare the way it is
meant to be and strives to "Always Do The Right Thing!"OverviewOur
Chief Psychiatrist is responsible for supervising the psychiatric
portion of the mental health services at assigned detention
center(s) so that there is a coordinated and comprehensive program
that is integrated with security, medical and jail
- Doctorate in psychiatry
- Three (3) years previous experience as well as professional
exposure in a correctional or community-based environment is
- Possess a valid license to practice medicine in the state where
services are provided at the time of appointment and also be Board
Certified or Board Eligible in Psychiatry
- Hold a current DEA and controlled substances registration
certificate in the state which services are provided
- Must possess and maintain current CPR certification
- Provide a coordinating, supervisory and administrative presence
for prescribing staff and mental health nurses, ensuring the
following: Mental Health policies and procedures are implemented
and followed by all psychiatrists, mid-level mental health
prescribing staff and mental health nursing staff assigned to that
facility. Psychiatrists, mental health nurses and mid-level mental
health prescribing staff assigned to that facility adequately
document all clinical encounters. Psychiatrists and mid-level
mental health prescribing staff assigned to that facility prescribe
according to formulary and custody restrictions when clinically
appropriate. Mid-level prescribers are supervised according to
statutory requirements, including the co-signing of orders on a
- Evaluate and document on a Mental Health Progress Note any
requests for assessments from the Medical Director, Mid-level
Prescribers, Director of Behavioral Health (DBH) and/or HSA.
Evaluations requests should be limited to those individuals
requiring specific additional expertise, have special needs, are
complicated clinical cases and/or are associated with particular
- For those prescribed psychotropic medications, the Chief
Psychiatrist will ensure: All patients prescribed psychotropic
medications are scheduled to be seen at least every ninety (90)
days. Timely and responsive follow-up for those in need of acute
care/assessment prior to their scheduled follow-up appointments.
Individuals for whom a change in a particular medication
prescription is warranted (i.e., report of side effects, inadequate
responses, ongoing symptoms, formulary equivalents, seeking of
desirable side effects and/or potential for diversion, etc.)
receive timely and appropriate assessments/re-assessment.
- Participate in all mental health related, jail-based
classification, administrative and/or multidisciplinary team
meetings in coordination with the DBH, as necessary.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with other disciplines
within the facility (administration, correctional officers,
medical, and others); and when clinically appropriate, with outside
- Evaluations of patients will occur in the clinic or cell-side,
if clinically appropriate or when deemed necessary by
- On-call responsibilities, as indicated, will be by
- Must be able to obtain and maintain security
- Must be able to apply principles of critical thinking to a
variety of practical and emergent situations and accurately follow
standardized procedures that may call for deviations.
- Must be able to apply sound judgment beyond a specific set of
instructions and apply knowledge to different factual
- Must be alert at all times; pay close attention to
- Must be able to work under stress on a regular or continuous
- Post orders, if applicable, per site contract.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Wellpath is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability Employer
Keywords: Wellpath, Milwaukee , Chief Psychiatrist, Healthcare , Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!