Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant Surgical
Company: Medical College of Wisconsin
Posted on: November 11, 2018
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 53201, United StatesJob ID: 44105862Posted: 10/08/2018Position Title: Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant SurgicalCompany Name: Medical College of WisconsinPractice Type: Hospital (including academic medical centerSector: Surgery - PAEntry Level: falseJob Type: Full-TimePosition Identification
Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant Surgical
Advanced Practice Nurse
Provides specialty health care services within defined scope of practice in collaboration with a licensed physician and in accordance with MCW/FMLH policies and procedures.
Department Position Purpose
The Advanced Practice Provider (APP) works as part of a multidisciplinary health care team, providing a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for the patients requiring neurosurgical interventions including cranial, spine, vascular, functional neurosurgery and spine rehabilitation.
Orientation may include inpatient and outpatient training at Froedtert Hospital and at Neurosurgery clinic locations, working with all attending faculty neurosurgeons.
Provides specialty medical care within defined scope of practice under the supervision of a licensed physician and in accordance with MCW/FMLH policies and procedures.
Cranial Service at Froedtert Hospital
Supervising / Collaborating Physician:
Full-time role (Monday-Friday) with expectations for coverage during core business hours and flexibility required as necessary to accommodate business needs.
Exhibit confidentiality, honesty, and actions that build trust and strengthen relationships. Listen to others and effectively communicate in a clear and concise manner through written and verbal communication. Demonstrate respect and commitment to the values of diversity and equity; seek out and incorporate diverse perspectives into decision making.
Excellence & Creativity
Exhibit initiative and ingenuity by taking ownership of tasks to proactively improve services, avoid problems, or develop opportunities. Generate novel and valuable ideas to impact missions. Identify and implement new methods to increase efficiency and quality.
Education & Development
Participate in design, development and/or evaluation of instructional materials, methods, courses or programs. Seek out mentorship and learning opportunities. Develop and maintain professional affiliations.
Resourceful in deviating from the routine; adapt behaviors, priorities and work methods to meet needs of others. Support transformational change to achieve institutional vision and strategies.
Dependability & Judgment
Demonstrate logical, rational, and objective decision making. Use analysis, experience and logic to solve problems and offer solutions and suggestions that are effective in addressing problems. Show reliability and accountability in the successful completion of all work.
Stewardship & Institutional Citizenship
Be an active and thoughtful participant in institutional initiatives, meetings and committee work. Conserve resources and use in an efficient and cost effective manner across all MCW missions. Look for ways to improve and promote quality within area of influence.
Core Responsibilities Department Specific Responsibilities
1. Performs comprehensive histories and physical exams, identifies normal and abnormal findings, including physical, cognitive and psychosocial status.
2. Orders and interprets laboratory and diagnostic tests.
3. Develops pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical treatment plans.
4. Monitors effectiveness of plan of care.
5. Educates patients on disease and treatment plans.
6. Performs procedures as trained and appropriately credentialed.
7. Documents within the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and completes other necessary documents.
8. Collaborates and/or consults with physicians and other health care providers as appropriate.
9. Educates, counsels, and assists patients and families regarding current health problems, health maintenance activities and preventive behaviors.
1. This role is a dyad position working directly with a vascular neurosurgeon/interventionalist at an academic medical center.
2. Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care teams in diagnosis and treatment of conditions requiring neurosurgical interventions both inpatient and in the ambulatory environment primarilay as a member of the cranial service.
3. Writes accurate and timely progress notes, procedure notes, and admission and transfer orders.
4. Order, perform, and interpret screening and diagnostic procedures and tests, and appropriately communicates and documents information.
5. Privileged to perform procedures as identified by the neurosurgical services such as but not exclusive to first assist in the OR, wound and drain management.
6. Facilitates and communicates with patient, family and staff to promote continuity of care across the continuum of care. Participates in family meetings.
7. Evaluates quality outcomes for the patients undergoing neurosurgical intervention through participation in the development of quality indicators and outcomes dashboard.
8. Acquires information on the most current development and trends in the Physician Assistant field and/or Nurse Practitioner field, through educational programs, in-services, professional associations and literature.
Advanced Practice Nurse
Master's Degree or higher in Nursing
Bachelor's Degree or higher in Physician Assistant Studies
Department Requirement: Master's Degree in Physician Assistant Studies. Will consider candidate with current and relevant experience in Neurosurgery.
* 2 years of experience preferred
* Will consider new graduate with relevant experience in Neurosurgery.
Certifications / Licenses
(Must be current and maintained)
Department Specific Certifications / Licenses
Advanced Practice Nurse
* Wisconsin RN license
* Wisconsin Advance Practice Nurse Prescriber License
* Certification as Advance Practice Nurse
* ACLS/AHA BCLS
* Certification as one of the following:
* Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
* Adult Nurse Practitione, or Family Practitioner
* Wisconsin PA license
* Certification by NCCPA
- Makes appropriate decisions based on education, analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment.
- Uses methods that effectively solve difficult problems, explores available resources for answers, identifies obscure problems.
- Uses time effectively and efficiently. Completes work by required deadlines. Manages and coordinates a wide range of activities.
- Focuses on essentials. Identifies and manages critical needs, and appropriately postpones or delegates less critical activities. Creates focus, identifies impediments to goals for care.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Is approachable. Displays sensitivity, patience, diplomacy and tact in relationships. Builds rapport.
- Relates appropriately to a variety of people in all positions. Creates effective team relationships. Diffuses high stress situations.
- Writes clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings. Creates effective documents and messages.
Practice-based Learning and Improvement
- Applies current research and evidence based practice guidelines to own practice.
- Identifies personal strengths and areas for improvement. Seeks feedback. Gains insight from mistakes. Is open to constructive criticism and is not defensive. Is receptive to discussing areas for improvement.
- Demonstrates functional and technical knowledge and skills to perform the work at the highest level of accomplishment.
- Incorporates other resources in system to provide optimal health care.
- Adheres to ethical principles. Is widely trusted, direct and truthful. Maintains patient confidentiality. Keeps confidences. Owns mistakes. Does not misrepresent self for personal gain.
Employment in this position is contingent upon successfully passing background, criminal history, and caregiver misconduct check in accordance with the Wisconsin Caregiver Background Check Law
Work requires considerable variety of fairly steady active physical exertion with some and/or continuous standing or walking.
Exposure to hazards that may result in short-term work-related absences. Exposure to blood-borne pathogens and hazardous materials.
Ability to detect and translate speech or other communication required. May occasionally require the ability to distinguish colors and perceive relative distances between objects.
May include exposure to conditions requiring the use of personal protective equipment.
817 or 819
Diversity, Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity, and Confidentiality Statement
Employment in this position may be contingent upon successfully completing a background and criminal history check, caregiver background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Caregiver Background Check Law, physical examination, and / or driving record check. The Medical College of Wisconsin is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. The Medical College of Wisconsin defines diversity as a commitment to recognizing and appreciating the variety of individual differences in an environment that promotes and celebrates individual and collective achievement. The diversity of MCW continues to be an important source of innovative ideas and creative accomplishments. Employees that have access to MCW, affiliate, subsidiary, or student data or Protected Health Information (PI), or research protected information are obligated to protect the confidentiality and proper use and access of this information in order to prevent loss, misuse, unauthorized access, unnecessary identification, or security breaches. This job description is not an employment contract and the Medical College of Wisconsin may modify this document at any time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by most people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements. Scheduling flexibility is required to accommodate changing business needs. PI105482110
Keywords: Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee , Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant Surgical, Healthcare , Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!