Senior Ruby on Rails Developer (Remote)
Company: Planet Argon
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Before our clients hire us, theyve often already invested a lot
of time, energy, and money into having custom web applications
developed to help them solve tough business challenges. They come
to us looking for a team to provide dependable support and
maintenance of their existing Ruby on Rails (and a handful of
React) apps. We do this in the form of recurring retainers where we
take care of small feature updates, bug fixes, performance
improvements, chipping away at their technical debt, and helping
them experiment as they navigate forward as a business.
This model means we rarely spin up brand new web applications for
clients. It also means we get to build lasting partnerships and
influence how companies plan for the life of their web
So, if youre the type of developer that really enjoys building
shiny new things or pitching entire app rewrites, this probably
isnt the position for you. However, if youre the type of developer
that enjoys jumping into the deep end of complex projects, helping
iterate and improve software, taking responsibility, and being
given opportunities to help lead projects, we should talk.
A Few Fun Facts About Planet Argon
- Weve been specializing in Ruby / Ruby on Rails since 2005.
- Oh My Zsh was created at Planet Argon.
- We host the Maintainable Software Podcast
Learn more about Planet Argon
As a senior developer, youll be expected to mentor more junior
level devs, lead meetings with clients, help evaluate potential new
hires, and contribute to our blog or be a guest on our podcast.
- Participate in short daily stand-ups to outline what you
completed yesterday and are aiming to accomplish today
- Switch between 2 - 3 client projects/week
- Keep an eye out for your teammates by being available to answer
questions and pair program
- Wrap your head around a number client projects and their
- Partner up with your project manager to figure out how to best
prioritize your work for the coming week
- Help your team members plan how to approach technical problems,
estimate tickets, write tests, and fix bugs
- Document the tricks and lessons you learn to share with the dev
community on our blog
- Ask clients for clarification on requirements that you arent
sure you understand
- Be an advocate for the long-term health and maintainability of
our clients projects
- Say, "I dont know yet, but Ill help figure it out!"
- Improve the overall test coverage of our client projects
- Perform code reviews on your teammates pull requests
- Take advantage of our flextime scheduling to swing by the gym,
go for a run, or sit in the park with a book
- Deploy code to staging and production environments
- Notice inefficiencies in our existing processes and taking note
to raise then at our next team meeting
- Carve out a little time each week to try out some new
- Share useful links with your peers in Slack
- Help us become a better version of ourselves than we were
The ideal candidate has:
- 5+ years of experience with Ruby on Rails
- Ability to clearly and competently convey your thoughts and
ideas verbally and in emails, JIRA tickets, and Slack messages
- Experience collaborating with clients, stakeholders, and
- Deep understanding of how SQL databases work and how to
- Comfortable with an Apple Mac environment (maybe you even like
to dabble with Linux?)
- Proficient in Git and able to help others with rebasing, merge
- Experience writing automated tests for Ruby on Rails apps
- Using Capistrano, Git, etc., to handle Rails deployments
- Experience leading workshops or client presentations
- Knowledge of HTML and understanding of CSS/Sass
- Experience with AWS and Heroku
Angular, and/or Backbone.
- Knowledge of software design patterns and experience with
Most importantly, were looking for developers that embody our core
- PROACTIVE - We actively seek opportunities to improve our
client--s products, our processes, and our abilities.
- CURIOUS - A natural curiosity for the undiscovered results in
remarkable work for our clients - and stronger connections for our
team. We ask questions, learn, and arent afraid to fail.
- DEPENDABLE - We are invested in our work. We manage
expectations. We support our clients and teammates. We hold
ourselves, our teammates, and our clients accountable.
- VERSATILE - We readily adapt to change and encourage innovation
because our team and work are transparent and flexible.
- DELIGHTFUL - We choose to set a mindful, positive tone that
allows everyone to flourish.
Responses from freelancers, design studios or recruiters offering
their services will be ignored.
New hires are immediately eligible to receive the following
- Health, Dental & Vision insurance (Planet Argon pays 80% of
- 7 paid Company holidays each calendar year
- Paid vacation time that would be earned during the first 90
days of employment
After 90 days of employment, you will also be eligible to receive
these additional benefits:
- Full availability of paid vacation that increases with your
length of employment
- 5 days of sick time each calendar year
- SIMPLE IRA with 3% of employee salary match;
- Family Leave policy
- Health & Wellness Program
- Home Office Furniture Stipend
- Home Internet Connection payments
- Short-Term Disability
- Basic Life Insurance
- Charity Matching
- Participation in our flexible work time policies
The salary for this position is capped at $130,000/year.
We will perform background checks and request professional
references from finalist candidates.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our
company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion,
color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital
status, veteran status, or disability status.
Keywords: Planet Argon, Milwaukee , Senior Ruby on Rails Developer (Remote), IT / Software / Systems , Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!