Assistant Director - Sourcing & Procurement (Technology)
Company: Northwestern Mutual
Posted on: November 19, 2023
At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Summary: This hybrid role in Milwaukee, WI will lead strategic
sourcing and procurement process of indirect spend with a strong
focus on technology. A trusted advisor to senior leadership in
business units and key partners in developing and managing
strategic business plans for critical and strategic vendor
relationships. Provide guidance on strategic sourcing, procurement
services, and vendor management; negotiate multi-million dollar
agreements with strategic and key vendors, typically with a 3-5
year duration; oversee enterprise and shared vendor management
programs; drive organizational change to move enterprise to a
centralized vendor management methodology; leverage strategic
vendor relationships to drive improvement and innovation across
multiple business functions; create and implement strategy for
engaging vendors for corporate project portfolio initiatives within
the Strategy Alignment and Execution process; apply best practices
to ensure company meets regulatory and compliance standards.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Accountable for developing and negotiating software and/or
hardware, telecom contracts (e.g. Enterprise License Agreements,
Software as a Service Agreements, Equipment Purchase Agreements,
- Partner with senior leadership and other key partners across
enterprise business functions to develop strategy, vendor goals and
- Lead procurement activities and sourcing projects including
RFI/RFPs and renegotiations.
- Develops and leads holistic enterprise vendor relationship
management program with the support of business unit relationship
- Provides coaching to executive relationship owners and their
teams on how to leverage strategic vendor relationships to
accomplish long term objectives comprised of an appropriate balance
of innovation, efficiencies and financial management of company
- Uses opportunities to develop opportunistic sourcing strategies
across the enterprise by identifying future needs and current
relationships among the strategic and key vendor
- Accountable for leading complex and sensitive vendor
negotiations for contracts resulting multi-million dollar
investments over 3-5 year periods.
- Leads cross departmental project teams with accountability for
managing scope, risk, business value, schedule and budgets.
- Researches best practices and proactively identifies emerging
trends with vendor relationship management framework that are
applicable at NM.
- Applies best practices to ensure company meets regulatory and
compliance standards. Assists in the creation, implementation and
monitoring of programs as a result of industry changes.
- Researches, analyzes and recommends significant process and
workflow improvement efforts and implements initiatives that may
result in extensive changes in workflow, adjustments in the
organization or significant systems modifications including the
addition of new work processes.
- Provides leadership and mentoring of vendor managers in support
of the vendor management lifecycle. Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree with an emphasis in Business, Information
Technology, Legal or related field preferred or an equivalent
combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of leadership in financial services
industry, preferably with sourcing and vendor management
experience, and/or lead negotiator experience with strategic
- Ability to adapt to change and work in a fast-paced
- Operational and/or procurement experience in technology
(Software, SaaS, Hardware, Telecom and/or Cloud computing, etc.)
- Ability to develop influencing relationship with varying levels
of management and individual contributors from various business
- Ability to sell a vision and persuade diverse audiences and
- Experience in designing approaches for senior leadership that
respond to their needs.
- Experience with contract development and execution.
- Ability to apply knowledge across complex business areas and
lead in a cross functional environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain cross-functional
relationships, influence change with diplomacy, and lead the
decision making processes among senior leadership.
- Demonstrated experience with financial analysis and
- Excellent research, analytical, problem solving, planning and
organization skills required as well as a high degree of personal
initiative and motivation.
- MBA or JD preferred Benefits: Great pay package, 401K, Company
sponsored retirement plan, Educational assistance, Performance
based incentive pay, Medical, dental and vision insurance, Parental
leave, Caregiver time off---.and more! Compensation Range: Pay
Range - Start: $89,040.00 Pay Range - End: $165,360.00 Northwestern
Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement
in the salary range for this position will be determined by a
number of factors including the skills, education, training,
credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity
as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of
employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an
individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their
role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and
circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range
listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in
certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on
the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click for
additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our
client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now! We
are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or
expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or
status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic
protected by law. If you work or would be working in California,
Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate
location, please click for information pertaining to compensation
and benefits. FIND YOUR FUTUREWe're excited about the potential
people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here
while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to
diversity and inclusion.--
- Flexible work schedules
- Concierge service
- Comprehensive benefits
- Employee resource groupsPandoLogic. Keywords: Sourcing
Director, Location: MILWAUKEE, WI - 53205
Keywords: Northwestern Mutual, Milwaukee , Assistant Director - Sourcing & Procurement (Technology), IT / Software / Systems , Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!