Company: Johnson Controls, Inc.
Posted on: June 12, 2021
What will you do
Under broad direction from the senior lawyers in the Commercial
Transactions and Business Partner, Building Solutions, N.A. (BSNA)
legal team, the Group Counsel will act as counsel for a group of
BSNA Areas in the United States and Canada.
How will you do it
- Review, draft and negotiate high revenue and high complexity
sales contracts, including energy performance contracts,
construction and technology integration contracts, subcontract
agreements, and enterprise wide account contracts.
- Advise business leaders and front-line personnel on
negotiating, executing, and operating under various types of
- Partner with front-line business leaders to navigate the
company's contract approval process that ensures proper
consideration of key provisions.
- Counsel the business and manage pre-litigation disputes,
collections matters and partnering with outside counsel on
litigation matters the businesses you support.
- Build organizational structure, best business practices,
policies, and processes (including training and communication) to
optimize resource allocation based on company and business needs,
efficiency and risk reduction, including the use of external
- Train and guide clients across a full range of issues that
arise in commercial transactions generally and the construction
- Work directly with BSNA legal business partners, corporate
center of excellence, regional legal teams, and outside counsel to
ensure cost-effective support of commercial transactions and other
matters of strategic importance to BSNA.
- Work with the Commercial Transactions and Legal Business
Partner lawyers on cross-functional projects.
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities, and implement
resulting changes, related to the contract review processes.
What we look for
- The successful candidate will be a forward-looking lawyer, with
the motivation and capacity to develop a deep understanding of the
businesses they support. They must have the credibility to function
as a trusted advisor to the business leaders they support.
- For this position, the qualified candidate will have a
demonstrated interest in products, services and sales in the
construction industry, complex commercial negotiations and helping
businesses be successful in achieving their business plans.
- They must have a J.D. degree with a minimum of 7 years of
relevant experience with at least 6 years of in-house and/or law
firm expertise ideally supporting complex contract negotiations,
preferably in the construction industry.
- The successful candidate must be a disciplined legal
drafter/writer and possess a problem-solving, "can do" orientation
with a demonstrated ability to simplify complex situations.
- Experience selecting and managing outside counsel is a
- Must be fully licensed to practice law within the United States
and able to practice in-house in Wisconsin.
- Ability to influence without authority and to work within a
matrixed legal team are key attributes.
- Ability to develop and sustain relationships with management at
all levels across geographies and customer management skills are
required. This position is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- This job description indicates the general nature and level of
work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be
required to perform other related duties.
Johnson Controls International plc. is an equal employment
opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected
veteran status, genetic information, status as a qualified
individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected
by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you
are an individual with a disability and you require an
accommodation during the application process, please visit
Keywords: Johnson Controls, Inc., Milwaukee , Group Counsel, Other , Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!