Employment and Education Specialist (CORE)
Company: Wisconsin Community Services
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Job Responsibilities: Employment and Education Specialist (CORE)
Wisconsin Community ServicesPosition Summary: Provides educational
and vocational support to youth and young adults who are being
served by the CORE program and experiencing their first episode of
psychosis. The role of the Education Specialist is to provide
academic support, role modeling, and mentoring in the vocational,
school, and living environment to ensure the educational and
vocational needs of the youth/young adult are being met. Essential
- Provide academic support to youth and young adults enrolled in
CORE in a school and home setting.
- Work closely with youth and young adults to develop vocational
interests and skills required for employment.This includes resume
writing, job searches, completing applications, preparing for job
interviews, and on the job follow-up/support.
- Work closely with education staff and employers to support the
youth/young adult to ensure their needs are being met.
- Participate in the development and monitoring of an
Individualized Education Plan for CORE youth with school
- Locate and engage youth in a learning and vocational
environment that meets youth/young adults learning needs.
- Collaborate closely with the CORE team to ensure the needs of
the youth/young adults are being met.
- Provide a strength based review of the youth/young adult's
educational and vocational strengths and needs.
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of
the Plan of Care and Crisis Plan.
- Connect youth/young adults to resources in the community based
on interests to meet identified needs.
- Complete all necessary paperwork in a strength-based manner per
Wraparound Milwaukee/Agency requirements.
- Attend and actively participate in CORE staffing and clinical
consultation with Wraparound Milwaukee staff. Other Duties and
- Attend in-services and participate in staffing, weekly and
monthly meetings and consultations.
- Assist with coverage for co-workers as needed.
- Other job-related duties as may be necessary to carry out the
responsibilities of the position. Job Qualifications:Knowledge,
Skills and Abilities: Working knowledge of positive youth/young
adult development; patience and understanding of challenging life
needs; knowledge related to mental health and co-occurring needs,
the ability to interact with youth, young adults, and caregivers in
a calm and professional manner; ability to follow oral and written
instructions and cues; ability to remain calm and respond
appropriately in crisis situations; proficient in Microsoft Word
and Excel; ability to perform basic computer functions; highly
developed organizational skills with the ability to multitask;
sensitivity towards cultural, ethic and life needs. Minimal
Qualifications and Salary Schedule:
- Must possess a bachelor's degree in a relevant area of
education or human services and a minimum of one year of continued
experience working with youth.
- One year of experience serving youth or young adults with
mental health and co-occurring needs.
- Complete 20-40 hours of CCS (DHS 36) training and 42 hours of
mandatory training in Wraparound philosophy and policies, as well
as attend a Family Orientation within 6 months of their hire
- Working knowledge of computer applications preferred (Windows
and Microsoft Word).
- Ability to display cultural competence by responding
respectfully and effectively to people of all cultures, languages,
classes, races, ethnic backgrounds, religions and other diversity
factors in a manner that recognizes, affirms and values the worth
of each individual.
- Knowledge and skills to work with children, young adults and
- No convictions or license revocations that would fail a
caregiver background check.
- Valid driver's license, automobile and sufficient insurance to
meet agency requirements.
- Meet all the employee requirements including references,
criminal background check, drug test, and driver's license check.
Other Job Information (if applicable):Work Relationship and Scope:
Reports directly to CORE Clinician/Supervisor. Has contact with a
wide variety ofindividuals including youth/young adults and family
members, other program staff, including consulting
Psychologist/Psychiatrist, and other collateral contacts,
neighbors, funders, Milwaukee County Department of Health and Human
Services, Milwaukee County Delinquency & Court Services Division
(DCSD), Children's Court officials, MPS staff and administrators,
staff of youth serving agencies and the general public. Personal
Attributes: Follow agency Code of Conduct; adhere to established
policies and procedures of the agency and of all funding sources;
conduct self in an ethical manner; maintain professional and
respectful relationships with program staff, other WCS staff,
people being served by WCS, and all external persons and agencies
involved with service provision; sensitivity toward cultural,
ethnic and disability needs; demonstrate commitment to agency
values and mission. Demonstrates a strength based, person centered,
and culturally intelligent approach to serving people with mental
health and co-occurring needs. Focused on embracing recovery in all
interactions and incorporating people with lived experience (Peer
Specialists) as part of the team. Working Conditions: Work is
performed in a busy office environment and in the community serving
children, young adults and families. Some of the work is done
sitting at desk using a computer; requires significant outreach in
the community and families' homes; much of the outreach is done in
urban neighborhoods and several hours per day may be spent driving;
hours average 40 per week; flexible work schedule include some
hours outside the normal work schedule on evenings and weekends.
Physical Demands: Duties require possible physical activity while
interacting in the community. May require sitting at a desk and/or
computer for 2 or more hours at a time. The position requires
computer work. Requires the ability to travel and drive for short
and extended distances. pm21 PIe58824a1d00b-31181-33050891
Keywords: Wisconsin Community Services, Milwaukee , Employment and Education Specialist (CORE), Other , Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!